Friday, August 17, 2012

Designer Spotlight: Spark and Pepper

Meredith Peck operates her pretty jewelry line, Spark and Pepper from her San Fransisco studio. Her pieces are delicate with a pure and simple beauty that is pleasing to even the most critical eye. Her pieces are perfect for everyday, adding just the right amount of sparkle to your office attire or comfortable weekend wear. For more on this inspiring designer and what motives her precious designs, keep reading!

Take us back to the start. How did you get into jewelry design? Did you have a different job prior to Spark and Pepper that led you down this path?

I started making jewelry because I wanted to make things that I wanted to wear; things that were simple, delicate and with hard and soft lines. I have no formal training in jewelry making, but I do have formal schooling in graphic design. My “day job”, I guess you could call it, is in art direction and graphic design.

Where do you draw your inspiration from?
I’m very inspired by my travels to Japan. I have a great deal of appreciation for Japanese culture and for the Japanese aesthetic. I try to incorporate this elegant simplicity into every piece. Also, the experience in Japan of having even the most mundane of purchases painstakingly and beautifully wrapped in front of me really left an impression. I want to create that same feeling for my customers.

What do you like best about your job as a jewelry designer? What are some of the most challenging parts of running your own business?
My favorite part about this job is hearing the responses from my customers. Just knowing that people are responding to the designs, and have the same connection to the pieces as I do, makes me want to keep going. The most challenging part is taking what started off as a personal passion of mine that I was doing for myself, and turning it into a business. Running the day-to-day aspects of the business; bookkeeping, inventory, etc.

What is your typical day like?
My typical day starts with a cup of coffee and my little dog Lucy. My day is half designing and the other half is jewelry making.

You also have a blog, Inspire and Share, how much of your time is devoted to blogging and other online media?
I started Inspire and share because I wanted a place where I could share my aesthetic. I spend quite a bit of time looking elsewhere to find imagery that inspires me.

What advice would you give to other young designers who may just be starting out on their jewelry designing journey?
My advice to young designer would be to keep at it. Learn as much as you can about the techniques and skills. The industry is so saturated with great stuff that you really have to have your own point of view and don't lose sight of your own personal aesthetic.

Stay tuned for an exciting giveaway  from Spark and Pepper soon!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Greatt! Thanks for sharing.
xo.
http://www.fromhatstoheels.com/

Britt said...

This is a new line to me but I LOVE IT! Thanks for sharing!

rose said...

your jewelry is absolutely gorgeous, i am in love with the second necklace :)

www.fashionrhapsody.com

Rose x

Unknown said...

amazing jewels!love them all!

http://so-st-yle.com/

Jessica said...

Everything pictured here is beautiful!

I hope you are having a great weekend. Stop by our blog and enter our giveaway!

Sunny Days and Starry Nights Giveaway

 
Pin It button on image hover