Friday, September 28, 2012

"DIY Friday": My Little Eye

This is a slightly different take on DIY Friday as I don't have step by step instructions for you, dear reader. I definitely "did this myself" but I don't expect most people to have the tools and materials to make one themselves. I hope that you'll still enjoy seeing my DIY below!
As long-time readers know, I love evil eye jewelry. Not for any supersitious reasons, I just really love the way they look. So the only rational thing to do was to make my own eye shaped ring.  I scultpted it in wax and cast it in silver. The result is less than perfect, but it's all a learning experience. This ring is one of the more difficult pieces I've made and am already thinking of ways to perfect it next time.
Some other evil eye jewelry that I am loving lately.
1. Catbrid, Evil Eye ring
2. Catbird, Odette NY Ojos Cuff
3. Free People, Vanessa Mooney Evil Eye bracelet
4. Free People, Odette NY Ojos ring
5. Free People, Leather Beaded Eye bracelet

11 comments:

MONYALE said...

I'm obsessed with evil eye jewelry. Your ring is amazing, I would love to know more about the process of making a piece from "scratch".

Xx,
www.casualuxe.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Love your ring...it's so unique!

Unknown said...

absolutely love this jewelry. been looking for something exactly like this. thanks!

studsandchampagne.blogspot.com

Jolie Jouel said...

@Moneyyale - thanks so much! The process involves sculpting a mold in wax and then having that mold recreated in silver through a process called "lost wax casting" and then finishing and filing. You can google it!

@Brittney - glad I could help you find some evil eye jewelry you like!

Unknown said...

Love those nails, and I have a thing for jewelry or any piece of accessory with eyes involved, it's kinda like the all-seeing eye motif! kinda mysterious yet playful, depending how you "see" it (PUN FULLY INTENDED!) So glad I clicked on your comment that led me back to your blog, and oh yeah I totes followed you since your posts' contents are info and image juicy so expect to be seeing some regular comments from me, you don't have to follow me back don't worry. Ok, I've just uploaded my five looks for five days of London Fashion Week, so if you're looking to judge what this UK blogger/provoker wore to LFW, then may I suggest you in having a lil' look see, provoking comments are always appreciated big time lol.

xx The Provoker
http://www.the-provoker.com/2012/09/the-five-day-provoker.html

Jolie Jouel said...

@nathan - thank for checking out my blog and the sweet comments! I'll definitely take a look at your blog too. Sounds provoking!

Erin said...

Wow you are must more creative and talented that I am with jewelry! That is amazing!

xx

Erin @ http://www.truffles-ruffles.com/

Morgan Brooks said...

Fabulous post love! So much inspo, I adore it.
If you could come check out my latest post that would mean the world to me!
XOXO
Morgan
http://thesocialboutique.blogspot.com

Silvia Couture said...

Cute DIY and great blog!

-Silvia

Kisses from Paris

Northern Style Exposure said...

Love this style! Great DIY

Floortje said...

I really like your blog dear!
Keep up with the good work! :)

XO

 
Pin It button on image hover